My Perspective - An African American Woman Visits Cuba in 2018 - Part II


In front of Isla 70 (Island 70) by Raúl Martínez, 1970, Museo Nacional de Habana.


What to Wear


OMG!  I spent so much time trying to figure this out, so I'm going to make it so easy for you.  Wear what you feel comfortable in!  Cuban people wear what WE wear in America.  But unlike us, they don't care how hot it is, they wear TIGHT, ankle-hugging jeans because they are accustomed to the heat and humidity!

See they're just regular folks, just like us.



I packed skirts, shorts, a pair of leggings and two dresses and my KEEN's.  I loved them because they matched my skin tone and I could literally walk with them on the beach and then go hiking.  It's funny, I met a 30-something on the ride home from Cuba and she loved my Keens, but she was all about the heels.  Some people just have to wear them, if that's you, you may find walking a challenge everywhere in Cuba because the sidewalks are evil! In Havana city the sidewalks are not so bad, but outside of Havana is where the roads and sidewalks are seriously neglected. Your feet will need to take you to places not always accessible by car, horse and buggy or bicycle coach.

After breakfast with Sandy and Duly.
Of course, if you're going out to a fancy dinner or show or the Hotel Nacional you'll want to dress up.  Men should wear slacks and women slay.

On our way out to dinner on El Malecon (the Cuban Lake Shore Drive). Joe in linen slacks and his Keens.

Comments